Thursday 10 June 2010

Hitting the wall

I was hoping to hit a 200kg deadlift today, but I woke up knowing it wasn't going to happen, my body was just in a "I'm frazzled, leave me alone" type of mood, but me being me, I dragged it down to the Budokan anyway.

I'm probably partly frazzled because of yesterday, but I've been training hard these last few days and it's been hard power movements: those 6 minutes of continual power shots on the bag yesterday was damn tiring; not so much in a cardiovascular sense, but in a nervous system sense - sustained maximum effort wears the nervous system out, and what's a heavy dead lift?

Yeah, a maximum effort lift.

Coupled with last night's training too, I was on a hiding to nothing today, but I went and did it anyway because I'm me and I'm pig headed.  Sigh, I should have listened to my body, I've been getting good at this over he past two months, but I just wanted to see if my mind could overcome.  If it had been a muscular thing, I'm sure I could have, but not when your nervous system itself is frazzled.

Anyway, last night's training.

Last night at the Budokan we had a hard warm up (which I felt, put it down to not enough carbs on the day, but  it was more than that).  There were four of us and each had to call out five warm up techniques.  Me, James and Shun called out twenty reps on a variety of things ranging from press ups to squats to burpess to jumping squats and clapping press ups, Cody came at the end and only called out tens, which was a relief!

We spent the session looking at throws: hip throw, body drop, shoulder throw (ha!), half shoulder and major outer reap.  To give them their Japanese names, o-goshi, tai-otoshi, seoi-nagi, no translation and osoto gari.  It was a good session: my hips are more flexible than ever and my legs are faster than before so I'm good at sort of jumping in and getting loooow on the hip throw and the shoulder throw.  Interestingly, seoi-nagi does not translate well as "shoulder throw", a better translation is "back carry", which is something that can be borne in mind whilst practising the throw.  The reason that there's no translation for the half shoulder is that it isn't a judo throw, it's something else...

After playing with these throws for a long while, James decided to pull out the stomach throw!  Which is another mistranslation we picked up, it's actually a "circular throw", but there you go, we picked up a few bad translations from the old club and its pseudo Japanese ways.  I've never liked doing or having that throw done to me, but my break falls have gotten better and, well, it went better last night.  We finished the night with fifteen minutes on combat applications of the hip throw and body drop; just playing and trying on different bocks, different entry points.  The old game of "if I do this, then you do that so I must do..."

I love nights like this as you learn a lot by taking things apart: everyone's an equal, everyone's opinion is valid and everyone has something to bring to the table, which is so important.  We found out how the stamp throw is actually supposed to work (or, at least, we found something that looks like a stamp throw, only better!).

I've been thinking, which is always dangerous, why we have so many throws in jujitsu.  Do we need that many?  Could we make do with less?  Or, perhaps, could we teach them in different ways?  Having all the throws that rely upon a certain body mechanic grouped together and teach them as a "block" of throws might be something that could work.

Or maybe not.

Anyway, I felt all those throws this morning!

Today's training:

Cycled to Budokan
Mobility warm up
Bench mark - Press up 30, Pull up 5, Chin up 4, HLR 10, Dip 5, HLATR 10
Weight - 101.55

Deadlift - 70k x 5, 100k x 3, 120k x 2m 140k x 1, 150k missed as grip went, 150k x 1 (over/under grip), 160k x 1, 170k x 1, 180k miss

120k x 3 for speed (nothing else in tank!)

Bench
Bar x 10, no power, leave

Cable cross overs max weight x 16

Then vibro machine for cool down.

In hindsight on a tired, worn down day I still hit my old maximum.  Training on a Thursday isn't good for me, I need to shift it back to a Friday - Friday training works because I used to take Thursday off save karate and stretching, I'll do that next week and we'll see...

Karate tonight, Kobudo and BJJ tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You gotta include rest days with that intensity! Keep up the good work,
    Regards to everyone,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yeah, I'll rest back in the UK!

    ReplyDelete