Saturday 5 June 2010

BJJ Review

So last night I went to a BJJ session down the road in the local high school (all high schools have dojos attached with padded floors for Judo and wooden bits for Kendo, as you do)  It was just a casual sparing session and was good fun.  The guys were all Japanese and had either Judo or submission wrestling backgrounds with their BJJ being mostly self taught.

I'm still not over that bug thing I caught and my stamina wasn't what it should have been but I had a good roll around.  There were a variety of skill levels and some guys who did know what they were doing and some guys who knew sort of what they were doing.

Learnt a few things too:

1) Back in the UK, below brown belt you can't do twisty leg locks, over here you can (probably because it's casual and there's no real structure), I got caught with it a twice because I wasn't looking for it, but I have since learnt my lesson.

2) They generally have poor balance once they get on top of you, allowing for ease of sweeps

3) There's some funky take downs out there (a sort of rolling crab claw scissors thing that got my good) but once you know them, you see them coming.

4) Japanese practitioners are technically good but not physically strong (though that seems to be a general rule for Japanese people).

5) They're not used to people bridging up with force

Anyway, today I woke up feeling it, but there you go.  I seem to have pulled something in my ribs, probably from bridging struggling Japanese people off me, and my left ankle and knee hurt from those locks.

I've found a proper class run by a guy who some of these guys train with, so I'll be popping along there.

Today me and James finished up the main build of the tree house (woohoo), now just got to sand it down and paint it and it is sorted.  I'll get a picture up.

And I managed to get to the Blue Seal ice cream place and had a strawberry ice cream.  Tasted very bubble gummy, nowhere near as good a other ice cream parlour's I've been to on the island.


Not very big either...

Anyway, this week has been a bit of a wash for me (well, apart from the ultimate awesomeness that was Monday which may have sucked all the coolness out of the rest of the week), what with getting sick and spending three days in the house.  But, ah well, next week I'll be better, fitter and raring to go.


Also, funny film:

Gets all the martial arts stereotypes perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment